ST. THOMAS- Members of the 33rd Legislature, led by Senate President Novelle E. Francis, Jr., convened in the second day of Legislative Session at the Capitol Building on Tuesday and voted favorably for bills as it pertains to Major and Minor Coastal Zone Management Permits.
Rising out of Legislative Session and into the Committee of the Whole, lawmakers received testimony on two petitions and Major and Minor Coastal Zone Management Permits.
Firstly, is the Petition of Nicole Toby- Requesting a use variance to the R-2 (Residential-Low-Density One and Two-Family) zoned Parcel No. 84 Estate Diamond, Prince Quarter, St. Croix. The purpose is to allow for the construction and operation of a beauty salon. Toby noted that the salon is an addition to her existing single-family home. The water supply will connect to the existing cistern that is 22,640 sq. ft. and the wastewater will be disposed of by the existing septic system 1800gal. The Department of Planning and Natural Resources Planner Leia Laplace mentioned that the surrounding residents in the neighborhood do not oppose the rezoning.
Secondly, is the Petition of Ms. Norma Blackwood- Requesting that Plot No. 25 Estate Concordia, West End Quarter, St Croix be rezoned from R-2 (Residential-Low Density-One and Two Family) to B3 (Business-Scattered). The proposed use is to allow for restaurant and retail use on the property. Blackwood stated that the property has been in the family for over 50 years. By commercializing the property there will be available spaces for rentals and businesses in Frederiksted. Laplace indicated that residents in the neighborhood voiced concerns such as using the property for farming, impacts of the development on the shoreline, and the effects on the Castle Nugent National Park.
Similarly, the Virgin Islands Port Authority Executive Director Carlton Dowe shared his remarks as it relates to Bill No. 33-0120- An Act ratifying the approval of the Governor of the Virgin Islands of Major Coastal Zone Permit No. CZT-7-18 (W) issued to the Virgin Islands Port Authority and the West Indian Company Ltd. And Bill No. 33-0124- An Act ratifying the approval of the Governor of the Virgin Islands of Major Coastal Zone Permit No. CZT-6-16 (L & W). “Both of these applications are significant to VIPA, WICO, and the USVI. The completion of these projects will play a monumental role in the growth of our economy and the development of the transportation infrastructure in the Territory,” said Dowe. Ultimately, senators voted with a favorable recommendation for both items.
Rising out of the Committee of the Whole and senators reconvened Legislative Session. Policymakers voted and approved all the items on the agenda.
Lawmakers also voted favorably for the following:
- Bill No. 33-0121- An Act ratifying the approval by the Governor of the Virgin Islands of Minor Coastal Zone Permit No CZJ-16-18 issued to Robert Gross.
- Bill No. 33-0125- An Act ratifying the approval of the Governor of the Virgin Island of Minor Coastal Zone Permit No. CZT-36-16 (W).
- Bill No. 33-0133- An Act authorizing the reprogramming $5,061,540 from available remaining unused funds of Gross Receipts, Taxes, and Bonds, Matching Fund Revenue Bonds, the Community Facilities Trust Account and/or funds available in the General Fund previously appropriated for certain Department of Education projects to finance currently essential rehabilitation and maintenance projects of the Department of Education.
- Bill No. 33-0139- An Act reprogramming funds from the GERS Outstanding Employer’s Contribution to the Department of Property and Procurement to insure Government Buildings and Properties; as amended.
- Bill No. 33-0138-A Resolution to enhance the friendship and bilateral economic and cultural ties between the U.S. Virgin Islands and Taiwan.
- Bill No. 33-0140- An Act granting a zoning use variance for Parcel No. 84 Estate Diamond, Prince Quarter, St. Croix, Virgin Islands to R-2 (Residential-Low-Density-One and Two Family) to allow for construction and operation of a beauty salon.
- Bill No. 33-0141- An Act granting a zoning use variance for Plot No. 25 Estate Concordia, West End Quarter, Frederiksted, St. Croix, from R-2 (Residential-Low-Density-One and Two Family) for B-3 (Business-Scattered) to allow for restaurant and retail uses on the property.